Union Minister for Women and Child Development, Maneka Sanjay Gandhi on June 25, 2018 launched the report titled ‘Women in Prisons’.
The report throws light on the condition of women in prisons and their entitlements; issues faced by them and possible methods for resolution of the same.
The Union Government on June 11, 2018 launched 5,000 Wi-Fi Choupals in villages and delivery of rail tickets through Common Service Centres (CSCs).
The service was inaugurated by Union Electronics and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and Railway Minister Piyush Goyal in New Delhi.
The Union Government has decided to establish India’s first national police museum in Lutyens’ Delhi.
The unique museum, depicting the history, artefacts, uniforms and gear of central and state police forces, will come up as an underground facility in the premises of the national police memorial in Chanakyapuri area of the national capital.
The National Green Tribunal has directed the hill states to file a report on the steps taken by them to control recurring forest fires.
The bench headed by acting NGT Chairperson Jawad Rahim impleaded the Ministry of Environment and Forests as well as the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Sikkim, Jammu and Kashmir and West Bengal in the case.
- FSSAI proposes life imprisonment, Rs10 lakh fine for food adulteration
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) on June 26, 2018 recommended stringent punishment for those adulterating food products following the Supreme Court order. Now, those adulterating food products could face life imprisonment and penalty of up to Rs 10 lakh.
- Don’t disburse grants to States not registering domestic workers: SC to Center
The Supreme Court (SC) on May 31, 2018 directed the Centre to not to disburse any grants to the states which have not yet registered domestic workers under the Unorganised Workers Social Security Act, 2008.
- Candidate with varicose veins unfit to join Army: Delhi HC
The Delhi High Court has ruled candidates suffering from varicose veins as unfit to join the armed forces.
- Government launches new scheme ‘SevaBhojYojna’
The Union Ministry of Culture on June 1, 2018 introduced a new scheme called ‘SevaBhojYojna’ to reimburse the central share of CGST and IGST on items for food/prasad/langar/bhandara offered free of cost by charitable religious institutions.
- Government launches ‘Online Analytical Tool’ to monitor foreign contributions under FCRA
The Union Minister of Home Affairs, Rajnath Singh on June 1, 2018 launched an Online Analytical Tool to facilitate closer monitoring of the flow and utilisation of foreign contributions received by various organisations registered or permitted under the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act, 2010.
- Government launches ‘Krishi Kalyan Abhiyaan’ to help farmers raise their income
The Union Ministry of Agriculture and farmers’ welfare has launched the Krishi Kalyan Abhiyaan from June 1, 2018 till July 31, 2018 to aid, assist and advice farmers on how to improve their farming techniques and raise their incomes.
- President approves promulgation of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Amendment) Ordinance, 2018
President Ram Nath Kovind on June 6, 2018 gave approval to promulgate the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Amendment) Ordinance, 2018.
- Government approves revision of carpet area of houses eligible for interest subsidy under PMAY-U
The Union Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs has approved a 33-per cent increase in the carpet area of houses eligible for interest subsidy under the Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) for the Middle-Income Group (MIG) under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) (PMAY-U) to boost affordable housing.
- Swachh Bharat Mission: Union Government announces 10 new Swachh Iconic Places
Parameswaran Iyer, Secretary of the Union Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, on June 12, 2018 launched the Phase III of ‘Swachh Iconic Places’ (SIP) under PM Narendra Modi’s Swachh Bharat Mission.
- NITI Aayog to launch Composite Water Management Index
NITI Aayog on June 13, 2018 announced to launch the Composite Water Management Index with an aim to achieve the objective of ‘SabkaSaath, SabkaVikas’.
- President Ram Nath Kovind approves Governor’s rule in J&K after BJP-PDP split
President Ram Nath Kovind on June 20, 2018 approved the Governor’s rule in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) following the resignation of Mehbooba Mufti as Jammu and Kashmir’s Chief Minister.
- National Sports University Ordinance, 2018 comes into force
Indian President Ram NathKovind on June 1, 2018 gave his assent to the National Sports Ordinance, 2018.
- Income Tax Department launches new Benami Transactions Informants Reward Scheme, 2018
The Income Tax Department has issued a new reward scheme titled “Benami Transactions Informants Reward Scheme, 2018” to seek people’s participation in the Income Tax Department’s efforts to unearth black money and to reduce tax evasion.
- Election Commission launches its online RTI Portal
The Election Commission of India on June 6, 2018 launched an online RTI Portal to help applicants seeking information under the Right to Information Act.
- Government approves draft Act to replace UGC with Higher Education Commission of India
The Union Ministry of Human Resource Development on June 27, 2018 proposed a draft bill to repeal the University Grants Commission (UGC) and set up the Higher Education Commission of India (HECI), a move that aims to reform higher education in India.
- IRDAI sets up Suresh Mathur Committee to review norms for insurance marketing firms
The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) on June 18, 2018 constituted a committee to review the regulations pertaining to Insurance Marketing Firms (IMF).
- Government to launch Rs 500-crore credit enhancement fund
The Union Government is planning to launch Rs 500-crore worth credit enhancement fund in July to boost infrastructure financing.
- NITI Aayog announces 3000 additional Atal Tinkering Labs
NITI Aayog on June 12, 2018 announced creation of 3000 additional Atal Tinkering Labs under the Atal Innovation Mission (AIM).